Thinking about moving to the USA? To sunny Philadelphia to be precise? Maybe you’ve got a scholarship and you’re going to college, or you got a good job offer. Whatever the reason is, you won’t regret it. We know it is a stressful process that consumes pretty much all of your time and energy. But don’t you worry – we are here for you. Also, coping with the new city, and new country may be hard, so we made a little something for you: a guide to Philly for expats. So here are a few things you should know when moving to the city of brotherly love.
A guide to Philly for expats
One thing you cannot call this city is boring. There are a lot of things to see, and lots of things to know, and since you’re planning to move there, you’ll have more than enough time to get to know the city. So, here are some things you need to know about Philly:
- History and culture – with a significant part in the history of the USA, since both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed here, it has a lot of museums to offer; also, it is considered to be the city of art, so there’s no lack of art museums and galleries either!
- Low housing prices – having the lowest house prices in the northeastern USA, it is cheaper to buy a house than to rent one; also, all of its hoods are kid-friendly with a lot of parks and playgrounds
- It’s a college city – there are almost 80 colleges, universities, trade, and specialty schools situated in the region
- Transportation – it is considered to be a walking city, but there are buses, subway, trolley lines, and trains to get around the city; if you do need a car, consider getting an EZ Pass. It is also recommended for foreigners to get an international driving license
- Food and drinks – with a lot of different ethnicities, their cuisine is very diverse. But the most popular things in Philly are cheesesteaks and soft pretzels. When it comes to drinks, one may say that Philly is a beer town. Also, make sure to order their invention ’’citywide’’, a shot and a beer combined
Moving to Philly
Besides our help in a form of a guide to Philly for expats, we want to help with your move. If you need a moving company once in Philly, we warmly recommend you local Zippy Shell of Greater Philadelphia. Their professionals will help you with everything you need, yours is just to pack and say where to go.
Once you get to your new home, in one of the many hoods of Philly, you need to start unpacking. There will surely be some extra stuff that will give you a headache thinking about what to do with it. You may want to think about a secure place to put away your household items, whether just while you put everything together, or for a longer period if you don’t have enough space in your new place.
So start packing!
The city of cheesesteaks, with a great cultural scene and many more things, the place that has all the advantages of a big city, but with that small city vibe. So, why not start planning your move today? A city that loves you back, as they also call it, is waiting for you. With all the interesting things to see and to live, yours is just to pack and get going.